Wednesday, 25 April 2012

The story so far

I'm never sure how to introduce a blog – it's rather like starting a novel in that respect. How do you grab attention? How do you hold it? How do you make people believe that your life is worth reading about? I could type out a long-winded narrative about the twenty years I've been scribbling all over the place, but it wouldn't be quite as interesting a description as a description of one of my characters.

My name is Samantha Shannon-Jones (pseudonym Samantha Shannon, which is also my birth name). I was born in Hammersmith in 1991, and currently live with my mum Amanda, and stepfather Mike. My dad Phil, a retired police officer, lives in Banbury with his wife Emma. I have four half-siblings between the ages of two and nine: Jordan, Alfie, Amy and Jack. I went to school in the little-known town of Ruislip (end of the Piccadilly line, around where The Inbetweeners was filmed), and I'm now just over halfway into a degree in English Literature at St Anne's College, one of the younger colleges at Oxford University. More recently, I signed up with Bloomsbury for three novels, part of a planned series of seven – which is what this blog will be about. 

I started writing The Bone Season, officially called my debut novel, in mid-2011. Before that time, earlier in 2010, I was a very different person. I was nineteen and still wearing braces, with the added threat of elastic bands, which had given me such bad social anxiety that I'd found it difficult to make a lot of friends. I was convinced everyone was looking at my braces. I did nothing extracurricular. Instead I had spent my first months at university tapping away at my true debut: a sci-fi romance epic, Aurora. The novel was somewhere in the region of 200,000 words long altogether – a real monster – and I'd been writing it since early 2007. It was the product of sweat, blood and tears, and I loved it. Most of my friends at school knew I was writing it; it was hard to miss, as I spent every break scribbling in my notebook. 

My obsession with Aurora soon began to impact my health. All through my years at school my mum had been worried about how addicted I was to writing it. The story was part of a trilogy, but I never wanted to move on from the first one. I was too exhausted to wake up in the morning. I had panda eyes. I was pale and sickly. At weekends and during holidays, I would spend up to fifteen hours a day hunched over my keyboard. By 2009 I wasn't even writing anymore; I was just editing, obsessing over every sentence, using Self-Editing for Fiction Writers and other DIY books as my guide. I also consulted a local short story writer, who advised me to trim down my convoluted sentences and was generally an enormous help. Finally, when I was just about happy with my flawless, surgically perfected grammar, I bought myself a copy of The Writers' and Artists' Yearbook, and I started sending Aurora to agents.  


Then disaster struck. My book was getting rejections. I'd never even considered this possibility. I developed a fa├žade for my mum and stepdad, telling them it was fine, that I could deal with it – but inside I was beyond heartbroken. All my work, gone. I'd call my mum and ask her constantly if there were any acceptances, if anyone would take me on. She told me later she threw away several rejections, not wanting to damage my confidence in my writing. I'd dreamed of being a writer for years. Why couldn't the agents see what I could see in my novel? I'd poured my life and soul into this story, devoted half my teenage years to it. Why couldn't they feel what I felt about it?  


A chance encounter soon gave me an opportunity to find out. My stepdad had met someone who knew a very good literary agent in London. When I said I was writing a book, he gave me an email address for David Godwin, a London-based agent and founder of David Godwin Associates (DGA), and strongly recommended him. After an exchange of emails, David agreed to take a quick look at the manuscript. I was thrilled to have the chance to get some constructive criticism from an agent 
 I'd always received standard rejections before, and I hoped I'd get something a little more substantial this time.


David was very kind about Aurora and said he'd enjoyed it, but decided he couldn't represent it personally. I told myself it was fine – that my work just wasn't David's thing – but it soon became apparent that my Aurora dream was over. I put my printed manuscript into a box and shut it away. 

It took a long time to recover from Aurora. Three years of my life, in my eyes, had gone down the drain. That's when I made a new decision: I would go and do an internship at an agency or publishing house. I would find out why my manuscript had been chucked on the slush pile, and if I couldn't get published, I would learn to be an agent or a publisher myself, so I could always work with books. I asked David if he would give me a placement, and he said I could spend two weeks at DGA in July. In the meantime, early in 2011, I slowly began to develop a idea for a new novel, a better one, and jotted parts of it down, playing with a dystopian setting and developing the best ideas from Aurora.
This story I kept very secret. I told my friends and even my immediate family that I was no longer writing, that my book was on a back-burner while I did my degree – but privately I was brewing the novel that would change my life.  


The internship was amazing. I had such a wonderful time reading other people's stories and doing book reports and exchanging emails with people like Simon Armitage that I began to wonder: Is this the career path I should be taking? Should I be part of what makes an author, even if I couldn't be one myself? My parents liked this idea, and it gave me some direction – but in my heart I knew it wasn't right. I had so many stories inside me; it couldn't have been for no reason. So I would bide my time, learn and grow, and wait for when the time was right. My next term at university was undertaken with much more confidence, and I tried my best to come out of my shell. I won a position on the St Anne's College JCR and started to work for a local student newspaper.  

The Bone Season was written in first-person. I'd previously used third-person, dipping into the head of a different character in every chapter or half-chapter, and I wondered if that was the reason that agents hadn't connected well with my characters. Maybe they hadn't got deep enough into their heads. Maybe they hadn't properly understood their motives, or heard their voices. I'd soon fashioned myself a protagonist-narrator, Paige. I had a synopsis typed out by the time I finished at DGA, and I was soon typing away feverishly. Seven Dials, where DGA was based, had given me a perfect setting. Now I just had to write this story, to pull all my ideas into something coherent. This didn't feel like Aurora. After three years of editing, Aurora had started to feel like a sort of addictive chore, a drug I couldn't stop taking. This was different. The words were coming thick and fast. I realised as I wrote that I'd never truly been in love with Aurora 
just with the idea of publishing it. The Bone Season, as it was eventually named, was very different. I was in love with each and every character. I was in love with the story. Every writing session was enjoyable, but I could still set it aside for a few hours and do other things. It became something I could look forward to, some peace and quiet after a busy day. I "suffer" from creative insomnia, and would often write deep into the night, but I made sure I got at least seven hours sleep and ate properly in the morning. 


I'd finished most of The Bone Season by early 2012. In February, an opportunity arose at college: the chance to talk to Ali Smith, the Weidenfeld Visiting Professor of Comparative Literature for the term, author of Hotel World (2001) and many short stories. Matthew Reynolds – one of my tutors and a huge Ali Smith fan – suggested any budding writers in the college should send her a chapter of work to critique. With trepidation, I bundled up the first chapter of The Bone Season and sent it in. After so many rejections for Aurora, I was certain I could deal with disappointment if Ali didn't like my work, so I prepared my notebook and went into the office at my allocated time, ready to take down all the constructive criticism possible.

I was stunned by Ali's response to The Bone Season. She had read it and loved it. This was a huge vision, she said, and I should send it to agents as soon as possible. I came out of the room in a daze, overwhelmed by such a positive reaction. I spent the next few weeks doing feverish edits. I visited Ireland with friends in March and got hugely inspired, which prompted me to do another edit when I got back.
Finally, I sent the manuscript to David at the beginning of April and asked if he knew of any agents that might be interested it. The next surprise was even bigger: David read the novel, loved it – and wanted to represent it. I turned numb when I saw the email inviting me to London to talk it over. Was this really happening? Just after I'd gotten over Aurora, was somebody going to take on my new novel? 


It wasn't just David that had read The Bone Season. The whole office had read it. I listened in a haze as they told me how much they'd enjoyed it – and, more importantly, that they wanted to represent it. Soon David was pitching the novel to publishers at the London Book Fair – which is where the story of The Bone Season's journey to print begins.

Over the coming year I intend to keep a blog of every stage of publishing a novel. I hope it will be both interesting and helpful to aspiring writers, and to anyone who reads The Bone Season next year. Thanks for visiting.

26 comments:

  1. Very powerful first blog can't wait for more

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so amazing, congratulations! I can only imagine what that must feel like :) I'm worried I may be in the same boat - I'm currently working on a novel series I started in 2007 and no idea if I just haven't developed it enough yet (too much writing ramble, not enough world building and plot structure) or if it's time to put it aside and work on something else instead.

    I look forward to seeing more entries - exciting times ahead, getting to see the cover art and so on, and I can't wait to read and review! I came to your blog via the publisher, as I write reviews for them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for commenting (:

      It is incredibly difficult to be working on a novel and have to put it aside. Even if you don't entirely abandon the concept, perhaps you could just start afresh - from a different perspective, or with some new characters? I think it's important to keep the idea fresh in your head, or it won't seem exciting to other people.

      I'd love to see some of your reviews - can you link me?

      Samantha xx

      Delete
    2. I've started afresh a few times, adding in three additional factions of characters (when my book seemed too 'small') yet it still seems so hard to get what's in my head down. Like you I have 200,000 words or more, yet mine just isn't... that... good. Egh. I'm too scared even to send it out!
      I think I need to become more plot driven, or I need to simply work on getting my writing itself better, or I need to give up on it (if only for a while) and come up with a different project.

      My reviews are posted on http://sentientonline.net/ under Katharine - though they're probably not much better than my novel is!

      Thank you for replying to me :) Congratulations once again.

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic first post! I'll be adding your blog to Google Reader and looking forward to hearing more from you. :)

    I've been working on a story for 3 years, and I'm slowly trying to peel myself away from it instead of obsessively editing it and editing it and editing it.

    So this post was a good reminder that I need to bite the bullet, get that story on submission and get started on the next project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea what "The Bone Season" is about, but after reading this blog I definitely want to read it.

    Congratulation on signing a contract with Bloomsbury :)

    I know the feeling you were talking about - too many stories inside that want to break out. It's a good thing that you kept on writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came over from Cornflower Books and was immediately interested in not just reading about the book (which I am definitely wanting to read) but about you - at 20 to achieve so much is great. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to mention earlier - if you would be interested in being interviewed about your story and way of writing, we'd love to do the honours :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited for the Bone Season's release. As a member of St Anne's college and a former member of the JCR, I know how hard you have worked not just with the novel but with in so many arts-related areas from publicizing plays to creative writing workshops to arts week as a whole. I couldn't think of a better ambassador for aspiring authors and wish you every success in your career. I'm honoured to have got to know you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. If this blog is anything to go by, I'm getting Aurora and The Bone Season on pre-order.

    I'm delight for you, and just a teeny bit jealous.

    Looking forward to following the journey.

    All the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Samantha,

    I just read an article about your book deal. I just wanted to wish you luck and say I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just stumbled across your blog after googling you because an article about your bookdeal called you the next Rowling. Which is enough to make me excited. I'll be looking forward to your novel. Any chance you could publish an excerpt here?

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are such an inspiring young woman.I can not wait for your books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! But...

    ...don't stop learning. You're so young you think you can understand it all with a couple of weeks in an agency; and you wrote a novel in such a short time! Remember: take your time.
    Don't be in a hurry. You're young, and writing is a craft that needs practice and thought.
    And: defend yourselves by those marketing geniuses that are already comparing you to J.K.Rowling - many writers have already been spoiled by such strategy.

    Anyway, compliments for the great achievement!

    Tamara Rojo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your head must be reeling still, but you deserve all the good things coming your way! Thanks for writing this inspiring post about the triumph of passion, a willingness to learn, and perseverance!

    People of all ages with dreams they haven't yet realized can learn much from you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post was fascinating. I'm distressed that I have to wait until next year to read your work. It's lovely to see someone with your passion exploding onto the writing scene. One day I'd love to be in a similar circumstance. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, Samantha! Wish you the best -- nerves of steel and huge, sturdy feet that you keep planted on the ground. ;)

    I'll be following you on this journey, as you keep blogging about it.

    Nice meeting you, by the way. I got here from LitReactor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Samantha,

    I do an Item for a Radio Programme about you and try to translate the title of your Book, The Bone Season, into Russain. But with a limited information of its subject it's a pretty tricky task. Can you please help! Thanks!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gosh, that's a tricky one. The "bone" part of the title is primarily to do with death. I don't know if you can translate it into something like 'The Season of Bones'? That might have the same sense. x

      Delete
  17. Hi Samantha ! I'm a French reader and your book, The Bone Season, interests me so I would like to take take contact with you because I've got some question !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, feel free to ask questions here.

      Delete
  18. Samantha,
    I heard about you through a blogger who heard about you through an article. It must be sureal to be in your position and have that sort of exposure! I look forward to reading your work.

    I have a novel I will being submitting this year. I will try to develope the stealy nerve to send it out!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Samantha!

    My name is Ida, I'm nineteen years old and I live in Finland. I read an article about you today and now I am very excited about your book! Can't wait to read it!

    We have something in common: I write a book serie too, have written it almost eight years now. I will try to publish it when the first book is finnished.

    I'm also very glad that you write this blog. I have few own blogs and I have wanted to become a writer my whole life. So it's amazing to find someone who feels the same and wants to share it.

    I wish you all the best! Don't worry, you will hold the interest, I'm sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's amazing that you're only 20!!! It's really inspiring for me because I want to be a writer when I grow up ^^ After hearing about you through a post on writersandartist.co.uk I googled you lol
    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have been dubbed the next JK. That is putting a lot of pressure from the starting gate. I hope that this new series of yours works out and hopefully makes up for everything you put into Aurora. Looking forward to reading your work!

    ReplyDelete