Tuesday, 1 January 2013

The year cometh

It's 2013! At last. At midnight, my mum turned to me with a big smile and said, "Say it, Samantha. Say "my book is being published this year".' Cue lots of tears from me – and the slow, wonderful realisation that this year will be one of the most interesting and exciting of my life. This year, I will take my Finals; I will leave university; and my book, at last, will have readers. I feel like I've been waiting all my life for 2013. It also feels like this soundtrack should be playing as I prepare for my epic charge towards August. Or, more likely, the slow, painful, foot-bouncing, hair-pulling wait for August. 

I'm thrilled to kick-start 2013 with a guest blog for the wonderful Waterstones, during which I explain how The Bone Season started as a Post Office notebook. No joke. Thanks so much to those of you that have shared it online, and to Dan Lewis, who gave me the opportunity to share my anecdote. The Bone Season has also been picked as one of 2013's cultural highlights by none other than BBC News. Never in a million years could I have imagined blogging for Waterstones, or being mentioned by the BBC, when I was scribbling my strange little story in 2011. Thank you, thank you, thank you.


He sees you when you're eating.

2012 was a rollercoaster year – not just for me, but for the whole world. Here in the UK we've had the Olympics, the Diamond Jubilee (seeing Prince Charles say 'Mummy' on national telly was a highlight) and a supermassive fireworks display to round it all off. I really enjoyed the last few days of December, saying goodbye to the craziest twelve months of my life. It's been a season of vicious Uno games, half-hearted studying, last-minute tweaking of The Bone Season, and making Strawberry Santas. After an excess of fun, games and Quality Street, I'll be heading back to Oxford this weekend. I've really got to crack down on my studying now – editing The Bone Season took longer than expected, and I have a lot to get through . . . like revision notes for my five imminent exams, which I've barely looked at. Oops. I tell myself every day that I'm going to start
re-reading Shakespeare and tackling my old enemies, Dryden and Pope – I just get so tempted by writing.


In the final edit Alexa threw some really thought-provoking questions at me, most of which inevitably ended up prompting new scenes, or at least rewrites, and sparking off sequel ideas. She's such a fantastic editor. So while I'll be devoting a lot of time to reading and revising next term (yay to the reading, nay to the revising) I'll also be sneaking in some scribbles on the side. Every day. I've got a Bone Season side project to work on – more news to come – and I'd love to get another few thousand words under my belt for Book 2 before I graduate. Here's hoping I can maintain some kind of control over my schedule.
  
I'd just like to say a huge thank you again to everyone that reads this blog – you really made 2012 for me, and I hope you'll stick with me for 2013.  

Questions still answered and loved.   

12 comments:

  1. 230 days until The Bone Season!!! Your mum sounds amazing :). 2013 is going to be an amazing year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 2013!

    I know it's going to be an important year for you, the hard part is already over, and now all that's left is the waiting. Really looking forward to both TBS and the blogs. Your journey in the blogs is kind of a story in itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost think waiting will be harder! It's bittersweet to have handed the final manuscript to Bloomsbury, but I'm glad it's finally off to production. Thanks so much for continuing to read the blog – so glad you're enjoying it.

      Delete
  3. So exciting! Happy new year, Samantha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. been following ur blog in 2012 since it started. will continue to do so in 2013. so excited for the book, sequels n movies!! :D keep up the good work. n here's to u graduating next year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy new year, Samantha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year! THE BONE SEASON's release can't come fast enough, now that 2013 is here. Congratulations on all that has happened so far, and all that is ahead.

    ReplyDelete