Sunday, 24 March 2013

Updates

Just a short one this week, guys, sorry – I'm snowed under with final proof tweaks and forcing my brain into study mode. Less than two months to go until Finals. *quakes* Once my degree is done I can finally get back to writing...

In Bone Season news, Alexa and I are painfully close to finishing the proofed manuscript: the version of the book that you'll be able to buy in shops, sans typos, with extra embellishments and changes. I've also started working with my Swedish and Hebrew translators. I'm really excited about both of these, as I had various Swedish and semitic influences when I wrote The Bone Season (most notably the Hebrew word "Rephaim"). The word that's given both of them difficulty so far is mime-lord. It's been really interesting to compare linguistic differences and try and create new words that will convey similar meanings to readers outside the Anglosphere. We're also contending with the double meaning in the title, which can only realistically be conveyed in English and one other language, French. My German publishers, meanwhile, have come up with a whole new title for the first book, although they'll be retaining the English series title of The Bone Season alongside it.  

I've also started a Pinterest board for The Bone Season here. I'll be pinning pictures to help you get a visual sense of the world of Scion and how the book looks in my head. I think Pinterest is a fantastic resource for writers, especially in terms of world-building – I'd love to have discovered it earlier.

Finally, if you have any questions for a YA editor, do drop me a line – I've organised another Q&A. See you next week!

14 comments:

  1. Will you be posting pictures of people who inspired the appearances of your characters on Pinterest? I love it when authors do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will – or certainly actors I feel could play them in an ideal world, even if they didn't inspire their appearances. Pinterest is such a great tool.

      Delete
    2. Will we see them any time soon or will you wait until the Bone Season has been released?
      YA agent question - any tips for query letters?
      Thank you!

      Delete
    3. I'll add teasers as we get closer to publication, but most will go up after 20 August. Don't want to spoil things too early! I'll also put up any pictures I feel are appropriate to pre-publication excerpts.

      It's a YA editor, not an agent, but I can ask if she ever takes query letters directly from authors?

      Delete
    4. Sorry, I didn't read that properly. Could I ask a different question? - Are there any common mistakes/required edits that you see in YA manuscripts?

      Delete
  2. Ooh, any chance of us finding out what a mime-lord is?

    Pinterest board looks like it'll be good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you think of a word that rhymes with "mime", you'll get a decent idea. ;) And thanks!

      Delete
  3. Best of luck with your exams.
    I like the little descriptions you include with your Pinterest things (sorry for lack of accurate terminology - I've never used Pinterest before): the Pinterest things seem a great idea and really help to enhance the reading experience...even before opening the book!
    Also when looking at your Pinterest things it dawned on me - the real-life Seven Dials might end up becoming like Platform 9 3/4; in that all fans will HAVE to go there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, think I'll need it...

      Glad you're enjoying the Pinterest board – I'm having fun making it! And haha, that'd be cool. It's definitely worth a visit.

      Delete
  4. Could you give us a hint of the Swedish influence, or would that be giving too much away? Lately, Svenska influences are relatively rare in fiction unless you count dragon tattoos or childlike vampires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBS includes two Swedish characters. I'm playing with the idea of taking the story to Stockholm in later books. I visited with friends as a teenager and loved it.

      Delete
  5. I was thrilled to see that you'd joined Pinterest! Good luck with finals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you picked out, in your head, the actors who are going to play in the movie adaptation :)

    ReplyDelete