Just a short one this week, guys, sorry – I'm snowed under with final proof tweaks and forcing my brain into study mode. Less than two months to go until Finals. *quakes* Once my degree is done I can finally get back to writing...
In Bone Season news, Alexa and I are painfully close to finishing the proofed manuscript: the version of the book that you'll be able to buy in shops, sans typos, with extra embellishments and changes. I've also started working with my Swedish and Hebrew translators. I'm really excited about both of these, as I had various Swedish and semitic influences when I wrote The Bone Season (most notably the Hebrew word "Rephaim"). The word that's given both of them difficulty so far is mime-lord. It's been really interesting to compare linguistic differences and try and create new words that will convey similar meanings to readers outside the Anglosphere. We're also contending with the double meaning in the title, which can only realistically be conveyed in English and one other language, French. My German publishers, meanwhile, have come up with a whole new title for the first book, although they'll be retaining the English series title of The Bone Season alongside it.
I've also started a Pinterest board for The Bone Season here. I'll be pinning pictures to help you get a visual sense of the world of Scion and how the book looks in my head. I think Pinterest is a fantastic resource for writers, especially in terms of world-building – I'd love to have discovered it earlier.
Finally, if you have any questions for a YA editor, do drop me a line – I've organised another Q&A. See you next week!