Friday, 19 December 2014

On the Merits of Unnaturalness


‘Be aware, my good Reader, that this Pamphlet, no matter how controversial its Content, must never fall into enemy Hands. It details all known Types of Unnaturalness, divides them into seven Orders, and details the Merits of each.’ — Jaxon Hall

Good afternoon! I'm delighted to announce that Bloomsbury will be publishing On the Merits of Unnaturalness, the first pamphlet by the infamous Jaxon Hall, as an exclusive, limited-edition print run. I've been hoping on hope that readers would have the chance to see this little project in the flesh, as it's such an important part of the Bone Season universe.

Within Scion's empire, illegal pamphlets are a popular means of spreading ideas within the clairvoyant underworld. Scion blacklists all literature about clairvoyance, fantasy, and the spirit world, and over the decades, it has held many book-burnings to destroy all such forbidden knowledge. Only one publishing house – the Spiritus Club – has made an effort to fight back. Founded by a voyant in 1908, the Club has published many seminal texts, such as The Vamps of Vauxhall and Love at First Sight; or, the Seer's Delight. Their work is printed in Grub Street and distributed by the couriers of the Penny Post, who carry and sell their stories and pamphlets all over the citadel. But none of their texts are more famous, or more controversial, than On the Merits of Unnaturalness.

On the Merits of Unnaturalness was first published in 2031, before Jaxon became a mime-lord. It explains Jaxon Hall's groundbreaking theory on the Seven Orders of Clairvoyance, in which he divided clairvoyants into seven groups – some of which were superior to others. The pamphlet goes into detail regarding the particular gifts of each order and sub-type of clairvoyant that Jaxon had discovered at that time. (So if you're been wondering what a botanomancer or a crystallist is, this is your chance to find out.) The release of the pamphlet, which was written under a pseudonym, brought widespread knowledge of the Seven Orders system to London and eventually spread to other citadels in Europe. However, it also caused a spate of brutal gang wars between the newly identified categories and the imprisonment of one group of voyants – the vile augurs – in the slum of Jacob’s Island, Bermondsey. 

How can I get one? 

There are 500 pamphlets, available on a first come first served basis to readers in the United Kingdom, the United States, Australia, New Zealand and India. You won't receive a confirmation email, but you can direct queries to @TheBoneSeason

  • Step 1: Pre-order The Mime Order. Pre-order links are here. (If you've already pre-ordered, that's fine! Onward to Step 2). 

  • Step 2: Send evidence of your pre-order, e.g. a receipt or confirmation email, to themimeorder@bloomsbury.com. Make sure you include your postal address, and write ‘The Mime Order pre-order’ in the subject line.  

This pamphlet was great fun to write, and I loved inhabiting Jaxon's mind for a while. I hope very much that you'll enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

19 comments:

  1. OMG! I loved the first book and can't wait for the second! I did my pre-order back in April. It's been a very long wait!!! I hope I get a copy of On the Merits of Unnaturalness! You are a fantastic writer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Samantha, can I (living in Belgium) pre-order from the UK site and have the pamphlet delivered to Belgium?
    Thanks!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds amazing! Thanks, Samantha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope it would be open for other countries in Europe too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This print run is just for the countries where I'm published by Bloomsbury, but I hope they'll make On the Merits available online at some point.

      Delete
  5. What about bone season film?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The screenplay is being written at the moment.

      Delete
  6. I sent my receipts to Bloomsbury for a copy of On the Merits of Unnaturalness, but did not receive a confirmation. Should I expect confirmation?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't get a confirmation email, no, but you can direct queries about the pamphlet to The Bone Season's Facebook or Twitter page, and someone will get back to you.

      Delete
  7. Dear Samantha,

    first I want to thank you for creating and writing down the world of Paige Mahoney... you gave me the chance to get into a new world and that is what I love about books! So, thank you very much :-)

    I am a 20 year old from Austria, Vienna. I just finished the first book of the bone season and I am really looking forward to continue reading the story and keep dreaming.

    I really admire the way you write- you are not much older than I am and all I can think about is writing down a story and getting it published....

    So, thank you so so much for the bone season!!!

    Happy New Year and lots of love from Vienna,

    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any chance "On the Merits of Unnaturalness" will be sold as an ebook in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im from the Philippines. does that mean there is zero chance for me to snag a copy of On the Merits of Unnaturalness? :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately this is a limited print run and won't be available in the Philippines, but I'm really hoping that Bloomsbury will release 'On the Merits' as an eBook at some point.

      Delete
  10. Hi Samantha!

    Would have loved your presence at the The Hindu Lit Fest,Chennai this year too. Do visit the city once again.

    Also eagerly awaiting Mime Order! Will 'On the Merits' be sent along with my pre-order or separately later on?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are there still any left? If I ordered the book off of Amazon could I still do this?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi I know that they were limited but can I buy it please. I love your two books and waiting for November.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not for EU readers? How unfair. I would like to get a copy of On the Merits of Unnaturalness too.

    ReplyDelete